Situation Report | June 1, 2021
The 2020-2021 Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP) Cooling Assistance benefit opened on May 3, 2021.
Eligible individuals may receive one Cooling Assistance benefit per applicant household for the purchase and installation of an air conditioner or a fan to help their home stay cool.
In circumstances where an air conditioner cannot be safely installed, a fan will be provided.
Only one air conditioner or fan, not to exceed $800 with installation, will be provided per applicant household. No additional HEAP cash benefits are available.
Individuals may be eligible for a Cooling Assistance HEAP benefit if their household’s gross monthly income is at or below the current income guidelines or they receive Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits, Temporary Assistance (TA), or Supplemental Security Income (SSI Living Alone), and they meet the following additional criteria:
- They and any household members are United States Citizens or qualified aliens.
- The household includes an individual with a documented medical condition that is exacerbated by heat.
- They received a regular benefit greater than $21 in the current program year or reside in government subsidized housing with heat included in their rent.
- They currently do not have a working air conditioner or the air conditioner is five years old or older.
- They did not receive a HEAP funded air conditioner within the past five years.
Eligibility requirements include filing an application with the local department of social services, providing all necessary documentation, and the household must reside in an eligible living situation.